Playing small in life..do you?By Caroline on the April 1, 2016
You may also like
Late last year I was feeling overwhelmed and ‘lost’ in my business. I knew that yoga was where I wanted and wished to be, however each day was a constant energy investment far greater than the return on satisfaction (let alone income). I did not wish to admit that yoga business, like any other, is not full of rainbows and nirvana, and that some days had me wishing to scream – oh how unyogic!
A good friend helped me realise that I needed business coaching, something I felt was an admission of weakness or failure. Initial coaching sessions helped me re-focus on my passion for the business and allowed me to recognise ideals that were not in my best interests! It’s a slow journey, however in a recent session I was flawed when my coach said:
‘so how do you play small in your life?’
I had no idea what she meant…!
I’m beginning to discover that playing ‘small’ is about how we:
- hide behind our strengths to not fully reveal our hidden talents (you know the Picasso just waiting to leap out!)
- choose to stay in our comfort zone rather than make a fool of ourselves by trying a new approach, skill, path
- think that earning fame, name or fortune is about playing ‘big’, so we retreat back into our safe, known world
Playing ‘small’ will never allow my open sharing of knowledge and lessons I’ve learnt on this yoga path. It will keep me doing what the norm expects from a yoga class, yoga teacher etc etc..
- becoming a little uncomfortable but more authentic in my approach to teaching the therapeutic benefits of yoga;
- offering courses that I know can make a difference in the lives of others in a way that is true for me;
- feeling quite vulnerable about changing my commitment to business areas that don’t serve me well.
…this for me is the beginning of living BIG with my passions!
I’m discovering that this is creating a life that is more ON purpose, more energised, bringing more joy and lightness into each day.
Try it for yourself and let me know…